Hokkaido, largest food supplying region in Japan
- Utilizing the abundance of safe marine and agricultural resources with accumulation of food-related industries.
Diverse Possibilities of the Food Business in Hokkaido
Agricultural production ranking
Unit: 100 million yen
Source: Agricultural Income Statistics, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
Characteristics by area
Produce “Hokkaido Brand Food” with Variety Hokkaido Product
The Hokkaido brand is a highly popular product.
- Brand power ranking – Regional Brand Strategy Survey 2013, Nikkei Research
- Most attractive prefecture – Regional Brand Survey 2016, Brand Research Institute
- Most Attractive place – Survey of Tourists to Japan from Eight Asian Countries, Development Bank of Japan
Major agricultural and livestock products in Hokkaido (FY 2015)
Hokkaido is blessed with functional food
Collaboration with Food Production Company
- More than 1,800 food-related Businesses located in Hokkaido.
Joint Development with Food-related Research Institutes
- Food-related experimental and research institutes supporting business activities.
Major food-related prefectural experimental and research institutes in Hokkaido
Development of food machinery – World’s first automatic scallop sheller
- Scallops are automatically divided into the shells, mantle, gland and adductor, and only the adductor is collected fresh.
Development of food manufacturing technology using superheated steam
- Superheated steam is used to pasteurize the surface of food, reduce loss of extracts and improve color.
- This technology developed by the Food Processing Research Center has been widely introduced in Hokkaido.
Development of new varieties of agricultural produce Karoe 1-a new variety of onions for processing
- This vertically long-shaped onion variety provides improved processing yield.
Case Example – Eastern Tomakomai Area
This area has attracted many large-scale plant production factories and food manufacturers.
- Approximately 45 minutes by limited express train from Sapporo to Tomakomai
- Approximately 20 minutes by car from New Chitose Airport
- Adjacent to New Chitose Airport and Tomakomai Port, the area has excellent traffic access
- It has relatively low snowfall in Hokkaido, which makes life easier than in other parts of Hokkaido
||Reference price (yen/m2)
|Up to 10 ha
||From 9,000 yen
|New Chitose Airport
||28 domestic routes, 18 international routes
||6 ferry routes, 13 domestic trade routes, 8 foreign trade routes
Established companies (food-related industry)
|J Farm Corporation
||Plant production factory where cherry tomatoes with a high sugar content and baby leaves are cultivated, based on joint investment by JFE Engineering Corporation and other companies
|Tomatoh Farm Co., Ltd.
||Plant production factory where strawberries are cultivated, based on joint investment by Fuji Electric Co., Ltd. and other companies
|Hokkaido Soba Seifun Co., Ltd.
||Milling factory for buckwheat from Hokkaido with investment by Nikkoku Seifun Corporation and other companies